[ale] OT: What? A Windows wart??

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 12 15:41:19 EDT 2003

ALErs -

Sorry for the OT question, but where better to learn what doesn't work
with MsWin??

I have a friend with an MinME setup. There is an image installed as the
desktop background, which is all fine.

However when the machine is powered up, during the boot period it still
displays the _old_ background image that was replaced by the new one.
This causes the owner to grind her teeth each time she sees it; if I can
clean this up, I earn many Brownie points.

Any idea where the 'ghost in the machine' is hiding, and how to exorcise
it in favor of the new image?

Thanks.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu