[ale] Novell & Linux............

hbbs at comcast.net hbbs at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 10:59:33 EDT 2003

Novell NetWare is (was?) a cooperative-multitasking network operating system for
x86 hardware that provided file, print, and authentication services for PCs,
Macs, etc.  Its primary competition was the technologically far superior Banyan
VINES, and the technologically inferior MS LAN Manager and later WinNT.
NetWare had by far the largest installed base until WinNT basically shoved it
aside.  Before that happened, though, Novell had developed NetWare Directory
Services (NDS), which wasn't at all bad, although VINES admins had had
effectively the same mechanism (StreetTalk) available to them for years.  MS
Active Directory, as I understand it, is mostly a re-implementation of StreetTalk.

- Jeff (IT paleontologist)