[ale] meeting

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Mon Aug 11 15:12:56 EDT 2003

Thus spake Geoffrey (esoteric at 3times25.net):

> Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >

> >Actually he should be welcome.  I used to wish him dead, etc because
> >of all the M$ FUD.  Now I'd just like him seriously tortured because
> >of all the SCO crap.
> >
> >Look at all the good things that have come out of M$ attacks on
> >Linux. Every time Bill and friends bought an idea they'd jump up and
> >go "Hey look at what we have!  Linux doesn't have that" or "Linux
> >can't do that", etc.  Every time someone would step up and either
> >tell them to shove it as Linux/Unix has been doing it for years or
> >would respond with a "oh yeah?  Give us a week" and it would happen.
> >A lot of the great developments we've received have been because
> >Billy and friends have challenged the different devs or said they
> >can't do something.
> >
> >Yeah the FUD sucks but people are very slowly starting to come around
> > and learn.  In the mean time we're making massive advancements while
> >we wait on Billy and friends to be blown up by some militant geeks
> >who are overly defensive.
>
> Woah, now, you're the one that said something about death.
>
> I personally detest the man because of what he has done to the world of
> computers.  Computers would be so much further along if it weren't for
> M$ and there competition crushing ways.  What would it be like if OS's
> were as plentiful as automobile makes?

* used to wish him dead *

Without M$ we would have what?  No viable desktop.  There wouldn't
likely be any DOS as they bought it from a guy who'd protty much given
up on it.  Yes they've done some serious detriment to the industry
because of their anti-competative ness and yes they should be punished.
However, as my father once put it, "windows brought home pc's to the
masses"...  He wouldn't touch windows forever because everything he'd
ever seen about it was a black and green screen.  Point and click made
it viable and useful for him.

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Life is not a destination, it's a journey.
  Microsoft produces 15 car pileups on the highway.
    Don't stop traffic to stand and gawk at the tragedy.

 PGP signature