[ale] Mindspring & NNTP?

Rebecca Jones jones.rebecca at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 19:48:18 EDT 2003

On Thursday 07 August 2003 19:02, Bob Slaughter wrote:
> > Bob Slaughter wrote:
> > >That sorta helped. Now I'm getting a "Unknown response code 480 from
> > >news.earthlink.net" message. I think this is a failed authentication.
> > > How do you set up trn to do authenticated connections to a news server?
> > > I couldn't find anything under the man page on it.
> >
> > try newstest2.earthlink.net
>
> Same message:
> $ NNTPSERVER=newstest2.earthlink.net
> $ trn
> Unknown response code 480 from newstest2.earthlink.net.
> $

Can't say this will help, but I thought I'd give it a shot.  When I had
Earthlink service, I seem to recall that if you were a subscriber to one of
the services that they bought you had to add /mindspring or somesuch to your
login.  I believe they used /ELN for their own subscribers.  You might want
to check their webpage.

Beckie