[ale] Red Hat sues SCO

John Marasco john at marasco.net
Thu Aug 7 15:44:22 EDT 2003

>Glad you have your thinking cap on.

The "Securities Exchange Act" bars individuals and organizations from
organizing an action to deliberately manipulate stock prices.  If
Microsoft or myself initiated and/or organized such an action it would
be illegal.  The case is just a lot easier to prove against Microsoft.
No one should try to initiate and/or "organize" such a movement.  It may
seem like splitting hairs but there is a difference (5-10) between
suggesting (hey wouldn't it be neat if) and organizing (lets' email
everyone on every Linux list and set up a web site with instructions as
well as a brokerage account plus incorporate and set up shell
corporation to stay below purchasing disclosure limits, etc...).

Individuals should decide on their own to make an investment or not.
Individuals should decide on their own to pass this information on.  I
put forth what I thought was a good idea for making money (individually
or as a group) as well as administering social justice (IMO).  Whether
or not it is a good idea for making money will become clear in the next
12 months so there is no need to discuss the idea unless you are
considering it.  I thought the idea was based on shared values, but I
seem somewhat misguided on that aspect.  I've passed on most of the key
data I used to reach my decision so individuals have enough information
to make up their own mind.  If anyone doesn't t think it will make money
or doesn't think it administers social justice then don't do it.  If you
have never heard of the things I'm talking about or they are new to you
then don't do it.  No one should feel pressured into shorting stock.
Shorting is obviously not a well-understood investment vehicle and I was
wrong in raising the issue here as well as wrong for trying to explain
how it works and why this is a good time to use it.  My poor judgement
now compels my to try and dispel the most misguided illusions.

Drew, didn't you argue last month that the government couldn't be
trusted to protect us and that is why people needed guns?  Now you trust
the government (of which our legal system is a part) so much that you
think they are the ones to restrain corporate greed?  If you believe you
are having a serious discussion about a serious topic then please
respond off line and I'll try to explain the holes in your "points" in
greater detail.  If this is some sort of delayed response to the gun
discussion then please let it go.