[ale] OT: Perl and VERY large files

Jeff Rose jojerose at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 7 11:11:58 EDT 2003

Fletch wrote:

>D'oh.  Never mind me, that's the system error text for EOVERFLOW.
>Shows how long it's been since I've touched Solaris. :/
>

>Only other thing I can think of is to run truss and watch to make sure
>it's calling the open64() syscall rather than the plain open() call.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with Solaris.  I found a site that
said open() is really a C function and it might need to be recompiled
with large file support.  Another suggested that upgrading the OS would
resolve the problem.  I have the power to do neither.  Our admin might
be persuaded to do one or both if I can nail down the actual problem.
We regularly work with files as large as ~30GB.  We historically have
used C, but recently found perl is sooooo much quicker to program in.
And almost as fast.  But the file limitation would seriously limit our
ability to use perl.

Thanks for the help

Jeff Rose