[ale] Samba-3.0.0beta3 + CUPS

Raju mr at 4securenet.com
Wed Aug 6 16:34:51 EDT 2003

My recent conquest on Open Source migration for a Client is coming along
nicely. I have Oracle running on Linux (used to run on HP-UX), Sybase on
Linux (also on Hp-UX) is being tested as a pilot, working on LDAP on
Linux, Samba for a PDC (testing), WINS is working like a charm. I have a
few issues with CUPS+Samba-3.0.0beta3 and wondered if anyone can shed some
light/point me in the right direction. Google yields very little
information and I have very little experience on these two beasts together
;-)

Here is my smb.conf before the Samba PDC goes into production (waiting for
3.0 final release). The current PDC is a winbloze NT4.0 box.

[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        server string = Samba Print Server
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = DOMAIN
        min passwd length = 7
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        min protocol = NT1
        printcap name = cups
        os level = 33
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.1.8
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        admin users = root
        printer admin = root
        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2.
        printing = cups
        use client driver = Yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        write list = root
        guest ok = Yes

[HP-Westside]
        comment = HP-WestSide
        path = /var/spool/samba
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printer name = HP-Westside

[HP-Eastside]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printer name = HP-Eastside

Questions:

The winbind/smb combination works fine for shares, but the following is
that I am having trouble with

1. How can I print seperator pages in cups containing the NT username of
the person submitting a print job? (this is what the current environment
has)
2. The fonts change when printing to a cups printer vs a a printer hanging
of a win32 box (strange, maybe the drivers in cups?)

My goal is to make the print services switch to LINUX/Samba as tranparent
as possible to the windows user.

Regards,

--Raju