[ale] SCO Announces Intellectual Property License for Linux (fwd)

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Wed Aug 6 10:59:30 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 10:32, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I'm not normally a conspiracist anymore but out of curiosity, is there
> any way to find out exactly what ties M$ has to SCO?  The whole, sco
> sues IBM and goes after Linux thing just seems to be the type of thing
> which would just make them way too happy.

They showed their hand a while back.

http://www.opensource.org/halloween/halloween7.php

Anyone who doubts Microsoft's involvement in this, however discreet, has
their head in the sand. Microsoft's next move will be to make a big show of
paying SCO a license fee for it's own Linux machines even though they are
probably covered already by the earlier licensing deal. More info on
Microsoft's Linux use is available here:

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=12803689

Never fear though. IBM is no doubt waiting and watching to see what
Microsoft's next move is. I don't think they're really concerned with SCO,
but instead are hoping that SCO's virtually uncontested FUD will embolden
MS. At that point, IBM just has to wait for MS to slip...as they always do.
Make no mistake, Microsoft is a powerhouse. But IBM is the company that
fought an aggressive government prosecution to a standstill. The Microsoft
case was far from aggressive. Microsoft is a big company in the computer
world. IBM is a big company in any world. My money is still on Big Blue.
They will do what they have to do to put SCO off, but I think they really
would like the opportunity to drag MS through the mud too.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security