[ale] RE: I thought linux was supposed to . .

GENE WILLIAMS GENE.WILLIAMS at tlc.state.tx.us
Fri Aug 1 16:57:57 EDT 2003

Thanks for the links!  I've been to 2 of these, but not the other 2 -
I'll check them out.
>>> f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com 08/01/03 03:39PM
>>>I can't offer any specific help, however..  Here are a few
promising links.Your probably just going to have to do alot of reading and
twiddling untilyou find the issue.I can say however that limiting
your search by Suse is probably noteffective, the kernel is the same
regardless of distro, and since input fromthe midi port would have to come
through the kernel or a kernel module, Iwould start there and "work
up"<A
href="http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue15/midi.html">http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue15/midi.html<A
href="http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO-8.html">http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO-8.html<A
href="http://www.midi-howto.com/">http://www.midi-howto.com/<A
href="http://linux-sound.org/one-page.html#midi">http://linux-sound.org/one-page.html#midiAll
of these were in the first few pages of this google search...<A
href="http://www.google.com/search?q=midi+linux+kernel+input">http://www.google.com/search?q=midi+linux+kernel+input-GP.s.
If "/dev/midi" isn't found, then you are almost certainly looking at akernel
issue.  Missing or misconfigured module, or something in that
arena.-----Original Message-----From: ale-admin at ale.org [<A
href="mailto:ale-admin at ale.org]On">mailto:ale-admin at ale.org]On Behalf Of
GENE WILLIAMSSubject: [ale] I thought linux was supposed to NOT
SUCK!programs that use midi I get this error:"/dev/midi:
"device not found"---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked
by AVG anti-virus system (<A
href="http://www.grisoft.com)./">http://www.grisoft.com).Version:
6.0.504 / Virus Database: 302 - Release Date:
listAle at ale.org<A