[ale] Linux desktop inefficiencies...

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Thu Apr 24 19:51:16 EDT 2003

Again, I think that there needs to be a recalibration as to what
"efficiently" means.  This may be an oversimplification, but these days
under Linux it's as though the OS says, hey, you've got lots of RAM and
I'm going to mark off boatloads of it; I may change my mind later if the
machine really loads up and then I may decide differently as load
changes.

I used to watch my NT machines' memory consumption back in the day and
my sensibilities as far as that goes mapped pretty well to 2.0 and 2.2
kernels, but 2.4 kernels are different and 2.6 will prove to be
different still, I imagine.

To me, I think it's marvelous that extremely, extremely sharp people are
drawn to redesign and experiment with the behavior of the Linux kernel
AND HAVE THE FREEDOM TO DO SO.  Different schools of thought emerge and
a "benevolent despot" (Linus) picks how "the" kernel evolves.  But even
with Linus' final call, you can STILL play with so-and-so's patch and
you can see if other people's - or, for that matter, your own - ideas
serve your particular purposes better.

It really makes me wonder sometimes how people can just stay in
Microsoft-land.

- Jeff