[ale] SMTP server

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Thu Apr 24 11:47:41 EDT 2003

Chris,
	I'm using postfix, with the virtual delivery agent patches.. and vm-pop3 for retrival.  This allows the use of pop3 login names that include the domain name of the server you are expecting to connect to (and thus allows "grant at somewhere" to be a different user than "grant at somewhereelse").

	I'll have to admit, it wasn't that trivial to set up..  Partly becuase I also used the mysql patches for postfix so that instead of aliases.cf, remote_aliases.cf, etc as db hash files it searches tables in the mysql server. It was worth the effort.

	Whatever way you set it up, and whatever pop3 server you use, I'd have to say that postfix with the virtual patches (which are included in the current snapshot, and should be in a full version anytime now) is pretty slick.

	Biggest caviat to the way I've done it is that I'm having to re-write some of the postfix module for webmin to work with it.  I'm also thinking that I may just write a php utility to manage the mailboxes and forwards instead of working with webmin's framework.  Either way, if you do use this config, I'd be happy to share my code with you.

-Grant