[ale] Gnupg and mutt automatic fetching of keys question

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Apr 22 23:21:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 11:55:56PM -0400, Allan Neal wrote:
> Attached is my .gpg.rc file.  I have tried the pkspxycwrap script but
> pkspxyc does not ever get the key from the keyserver.  So I tried the
> gpg --no-verbose --batch --quiet --recv-keys %r line.  This never
> fetches the keys either and just manages to mess up the curses requiring
> a ^L to redraw the terminal screen.

First, verify that gpg will download a key to ensure that its configuration
file is correct.

By default, mutt seems to prever pgp to gpg, thus:

  ls -l /usr/bin/pgp
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Mar 26 18:13 /usr/bin/pgp -> gpg

This can be had via:

  su
  cd /usr/bin
  ln -s gpg pgp

If necessary:

  ln -s ../../usr/local/bin/pgp /usr/bin/.

> I have mutt version 1.3.28i with the +HAVE_PGP option turned on at
> compile time (Debian mutt package from testing), and gnupg version 1.2.1
> (also Debian testing package).

> Does anyone know how I can get automatic downloading of signatures to
> work?

> Allan
> --
>  __^__                                          __^__
>  | / | "Engineers aren't boring people,         | \ |
>  | / | we just get excited about boring things" | \ |

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"