[ale] What to use

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Apr 22 18:35:46 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 15:25, Joseph Knapka wrote:

> Much as I dislike Java, it is without question a more appropriate tool
> than Perl for building large-scale, maintainable systems. Furthermore,
> you are more likely to find good Java progammers than good Perl
> programmers (whatever that might mean). I'm not saying Perl is
> unreliable, but I read the "perldoc perlreftut" page last night
> in an attempt to clear up my confusion about Perl references, and
> discovered that there are no less than *three* different syntaxes
> for dereferencing a reference! And there are syntax variations like
> that all over Perl, which means that you *will* have a tough time
> reading other people's code.

Yea, like this:

sub doSomething {
 return;
}

# Call doSomthing 3 times
&doSomething;
doSomething();
doSomething;

To me that is the #1 weakness of the language. The lack of a clear
standard way of doing things.  When you go to perl from a structured
language, it kinda confuses you. :)

But, for quick and dirty on-off's I would not use anything else.