[ale] Virtual Dedicated Servers

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Apr 22 18:32:52 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 05:33 pm, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last week I went to visit a web hosting facility that offered virtual
> dedicated servers on Linux.  They stated they had proprietary software
> to provide this product.  Its like a small Linux system that is
> controlled so the user can not use too many cycles up and limit the
> other customers. It was intriguing.  To me ti should be dedicated or
> shared.  That word virtual in the subject line of this email cancels out
> the second word "dedicated".  Can someone tell me if there is an OSS
> solution to allow VDS on Linux?  I might could put a view of my sites in
> one to protect the host from hacking.

Yes, there is.  The Virtual Private Server.  It allows you to create a
virtual server and give someone root access to the virtual server.  Not
only can they not move out of the VS filesystem a la chroot, but they
can't see any other processes.  To them they completely own the server,
but in fact there may be many virtual servers in the same box.

It's a very cool hack.  It is here:
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc

Michae;l