[ale] Linux and Virii

Synco Gibraldter synco at xodarap.net
Mon Apr 21 16:35:47 EDT 2003

i'm sure there are virus scanning packages for linux, but i've never tried
to find one.  the reason that viruses are rare on *n?x systems is that the
operators of these systems download the source code for their applications
almost all of the time [exceptions would be some rogue [opera]
applications that make you download a binary or rpm distributions compiled
for a single architecture].  obviously if you download a huge package,
you're not going to be able to go through every single line looking for a
few lines of damaging code, but viruses like to hide and something of
that sort would be quickly found and tracked.  just be careful where you
download your software from and take a peek at the small utility files
once in a while.  also run tripwire or some other utility to create safe
hashes of your filesystem to track changes.  in general, you should be a
lot more worried about exploits and worms than the classic 'virus.'

and boycott opera for climbing up the slide.

sg.