[ale] Searching for C exp.

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Apr 21 15:50:10 EDT 2003

Guys,

While I have over a year of professional C experience, most of that was
spent debugging/rewriting/enhancing a very large, complex, non-standard
application I had no part in designing.  This was also a little over three
years ago, so my C skills are a little rusty.

Aside from a few large school projects and a few modules developed for
that job, I have no experience in designing a (large) application in C.
While I have a very good understanding of most of the
teach-yourself-in-24-days parts of C, I've never delved into the nether
regions and never really taken part in designing/developing a professional
quality C app.

I'd like to gain some experience in that respect, but not sure where to
start...

What would you recommend?  Should I start by joining an os project in C
and get involved?  I'd consider working on my own, but I'd like to learn
the intricacies of designing in C, the tricks of the trade, the gotchas,
common practices, etc., and I don't think a project of my own would
provide as much insight in that way.

Any suggestions?  Anyone have any C work (volunteer)?

Thanks,

John