[ale] Switch troubleshooting

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sun Apr 20 14:02:27 EDT 2003

I have a d-link 8-port 10/100 switch that's served me well over the years.
 Lately, however, traffic will noticeably slow down on my dsl connection.
Switching the port that my router uses to connect to my switch seems to
resolve it, although that's only been the case one time.  The other time,
it just *magically* sped up again.

A long time ago, I thought I had damaged two ports on the switch on
separate occasions by touching the end of a cat-5 cable after walking
across carpet.  When I touched the end of the cable, those free electrons
jumped from my finger with a loud pop, and afterwards traffic was erratic
on those particular ports.

My problem is, I didn't label the ports, and now am having trouble
isolating whether my dsl slow down is caused by them.  Additionally, they
seem to work most of the time...

Is there any way to test a port on a switch to make sure it's functioning
as it should, at full bandwidth?  Any suggestions on troubleshooting
approaches is appreciated.

Thanks!

John