[ale] SuSE Samba script settings

John Marasco jemarasco at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 15 20:22:37 EDT 2003

Very nice, thank you

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-admin at ale.org [mailto:ale-admin at ale.org]On Behalf Of Keith
To: ale at ale.org
Hopkins
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 9:36 AM
To: jemarasco at bellsouth.net
Cc: ale at ale.org
Subject: [ale] SuSE Samba script settings

John Marasco wrote:
> Someone familiar with the SuSE startup scripts...
>
> I installed SuSE 8.1 via ftp and have Samba running on a computer.  The
trouble is that I am running the Samba server daemons by hand.  I would like
to enable them in the SuSE startup scripts but when I try to trace through
the scripts I can't find the references.

> - I don't want to use the GUI as the monitor is so small that using the
GUI is painful.
> - I know I can add the daemons anyplace in the scripts, but I wanted to
determine if there was a "standard" place that SuSE inserted Samba startup
into the scripts.

Luke! Use the command line interface....

hera:~ # chkconfig --list smb
smb                       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:off   5:on
6:off
hera:~ # chkconfig --list nmb
nmb                       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:off   5:on
6:off
hera:~ #
hera:~ # chkconfig --help
usage:
         chkconfig -t|--terse [names]            (shows the links)
         chkconfig -e|--edit  [names]            (configure services)
         chkconfig -s|--set   [name state]...    (configure services)
         chkconfig -l|--list [--deps] [names]    (shows the links)
         chkconfig -c|--check name [state]       (check state)
         chkconfig -a|--add   [names]            (runs insserv)
         chkconfig -d|--del   [names]            (runs insserv -r)
         chkconfig -h|--help                     (print usage)
         chkconfig -f|--force ...                (call insserv with -f)

         chkconfig [name]           same as chkconfig -t
         chkconfig name state...    same as chkconfig -s name state
--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith