[ale] Linux Modems

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Apr 6 22:41:51 EDT 2003

Greg wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a modem that plays nice with
> Linux and is somewhat low in cost ?  It can be either external or
> internal, new or old.  I need it to be easily configurable with Suse
> 8.0 Professional and able to work.

I can't quote a low cost modem, but most any external should work as it
will be a real modem.  I've had excellent luck with USR modems.  You can
get the low end external for around $89.

You can also purchase a 'real' USR internal modem for around $79.  The
nice thing about USR modems is that the boxes are very clearly marked
when they are a winmodem, they call them a winmodem.

I good indicator the modem is a winmodem is the system requirements.  A
real modem will work with a 286 and up.  Winmodems will require anywhere
from a p133 on up.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...