[ale] USB -> serial cables and such

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 26 11:35:50 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 04:59 pm, Pete Hardie wrote:
> After realizing that multi-serial port boards are pricey, and that RH 7.2
> has USB support in it, I'm looking to convert several of my serial port
> connections to USB via a USB->serial cable and USB hub.  However, I'm
> very unschooled in USB technology, so I have a few questions.
>

> The devices I hope to connect are
> a) modem, used for caller ID purposes
> b) digital camera for image download (alternately, a SMartCard reader for
> same) c) Palm upload link
> d) keyboard & mouse

Pete,

  A _few_ digital cameras conform to the USB Mass Storage Protocol.
Hooking these up and reading the contents of the memory storage
device inside the camera is relatively simple. If your camera does
not adhere to this protocol, your best bet is to track down one of
the memory card readers for which Linux drivers are abvailable. I can
tell you that those from Lexar do _not_ work with Linux. <sigh>

Sean