[ale] mySQL

Mike Lockhart backpacker at hikers.net
Mon Sep 23 14:00:36 EDT 2002

To paraphrase what Jeremy Cole, the MySQL trainer told us regarding that
matter (and i'm going from memory here, I can't find some of my notes
from the class), the pre-built binaries are fine for probably 60-70% of
people who use mysql.  The other 30-40% would be better off building it
from source due to optimizations they want to incorporate during the
build process.  You might want to ask this question on the mysql mailing
list, which Jeremy is very active on (in fact, its how he got his job
with mysql!), and also the guy from Yahoo! Financial is very active on
the list.  I'm sure they'd have a lot of good input on the pros and cons
of building your own.  Hope this helps ;)

-- mike

--

Michael Lockhart - PHP Developer
mailto:mlockhart at intercosmos.com