[ale] [Fwd: [Am-info] Advanced Micro Devices will includeMicrosoft's Palladium]

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Fri Sep 20 18:17:06 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 18:02, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> How
> would you run your own operating system (Open Source OSses count)?  The
> Alpha AXP?  PowerPC?

You wouldn't.  That's one of the hidden benefits Microsoft will reap.

> Can there be an Open Source CPU - completely open specification - such
> that anyone with the equipment can build it?  Will the Feds shut them
> down like moonshiners?

If some (Fritz, et al) have their way, they would shut you down.
However, with the large amounts of $$$ behind this lobbying, I suspect
the penalties would be more akin to those aimed at drug lords than
moonshiners ;-).

I know I sound extreme....but hell, everything I've read sounds extreme
so far.  I'll be surprised if people stand for this kind of surrender of
control...but then again...

John