[ale] rh 7.3 on amd, more info

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 16 15:50:18 EDT 2002

You won't be ale to use TRB on RH7.3 unless you compile a custom TRB
kernel that supports ext3. This is why partition magic is a weird
program to use. It reorders partitions as it sees fit to prevent other
partitioning apps from competing.

Win98 has a really #$^& way of "partioning" itself onto a drive. It will
mark the last sector of the last cylinder as unmovable. This blocks
resizing the partition. Partition magic gets around this by some horrid
process that involves reordering the partitions and moving the win98
chunk while reworking the MBR to hide all this.

The best way I have made W98 play well is to kill it (it was a nice
feeling, really :) fdisk the drive with DOS to make a partition for W98,
reinstall W98 (yuck!) and then do the Linux install. I did this
successfully once with a partition magic'ed drive but ran into problems
later with lilo (pre-grub days).