[ale] Linux Firewal and testing.

Adrin haswes at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 15 13:23:17 EDT 2002

Well, This may just be a good case for not allowing guest users on a windows box.  I have
seen this in networking of large offices and now I have seen it on the internet.  I was
just playing around and looking at my ppp0 ip address and wondered if I could ping others
in my same netmask.  Well, with in the first minute I pinged to addresses.

Then I was looking at my network neighborhood. And decided to add a network place.  I
picked one of the IPs I got a response from and added put that in the wizard. (Ex \\IP
address). If I liked country music a lot I would have hit a big load of MP3S. Granted I
can on read the files can add a dir or change the names. Or for that matter even figure
out who this person is and worn them.

So my biggest question is here.  How do I know I am protecting myself?  It there a true
test?  Are do you just watch the logs?  My Linux firewall does not return pings and the
smbclient doesn't use the interface eth1 that connects to the internet. I am using wu-ftp.
I liked the pro-ftp that came with Mandrake but Red Hat doesn't have it or I didn't see it
in the distro. Telnet will never run on my machine. Webmin (a Cool Tool) also doesn't
interface with the internet.

Could your head explode just worrying about this stuff?

Adrin