[ale] PhreakNIC Announcement

Tom Cross decius at whack.org
Thu Sep 12 12:40:17 EDT 2002

* READ * REDISTRIBUTE * READ * REDISTRIBUTE * READ * REDISTRIBUTE * READ *

             The Children of the Cr0n and se2600 present:

 PPPPPP  H    H  RRRRRR  EEEEEE  AAAAAA  K    K  N     N  IIIIIII  CCCCCC
 P    P  H    H  R    R  E       A    A  K   K   NN    N     I     C
 P    P  H    H  R    R  E       A    A  K  K    N N   N     I     C
 PPPPPP  HHHHHH  RRRRRR  EEEEEE  AAAAAA  KKK     N  N  N     I     C
 P       H    H  R  R    E       A    A  K  K    N   N N     I     C
 P       H    H  R   R   E       A    A  K   K   N    NN     I     C
 P       H    H  R    R  EEEEEE  A    A  K    K  N     N  IIIIIII  CCCCCC

                    222222  000000  000000  222222
                         2  0    0  0    0       2
                         2  0    0  0    0       2
                    222222  0    0  0    0  222222
                    2       0    0  0    0  2
                    2       0    0  0    0  2
                    222222  000000  000000  222222

                      http://www.phreaknic.info

Introduction:

     This year's PhreakNIC convention comes at a time when the
technology community faces unprecedented peril. The crash of the Internet
and Telecom bubbles, and the ensuing economic slow down, have left many of
us underemployed and wondering where, how, and in what direction
technological innovation will proceed. The copyright maximalists have made
severe encroachments upon our culture by shutting down most of our
Internet radio stations. Their incessant efforts threaten to place complete
control of the Internet in the hands of a small group of entertainment
industry executives within just a few short years. All of this is occurring
within the broader context of the September 11th attacks and the ensuing
War on Terrorism, which continues to have serious implications for the
open exchange of ideas, our civil liberties, and our very freedom.

     PhreakNIC 2002 will provide a forum in which these matters of
international importance can be discussed in an environment where everyone
is UNFATHOMABLY INTOXICATED, inhibition free, playing with HIGH-TECH toys,
and engaged wild, half-naked, digitally enchanced, wanton DEBAUCHERY.

     Yes, thats UNFATHOMABLY INTOXICATED HIGH-TECH DEBAUCHERY. We can't
promise we're gunna solve any of these damn problems, but we can sure as
hell promise you'll be so drunk you won't care!

     "Good lord! It's PhreakNIC!"

The quick and dirty:

    * Who: SE2600
    * What: a weekend of hacking, panel discussions, partying and mayhem
    * Where: Ramada Inn and Conference Center, Downtown Nashville, TN
    * When: November 1st through November 3rd, 2002
    * Why: Because its MY stapler.

What is PhreakNIC:

PhreakNIC is the oldest annual hacker con in the South Eastern US.
Anyone is welcome to attend. We create an environment where people who are
interested in the more underground elements of technology can meet,
exchange ideas and hopefully teach/learn. The primary focus is on
computers and computer security, but we also cover other topics, such as
radio (ham, pirate & low-power/community), SETI work, robotics, high-power
rocketry, satellites, phones and phreaking, cryptography, etc. We are
planning interesting things for our sixth year - please join us.

http://www.phreaknic.info

Hotel Information:

Space in the Hotel is filling up very fast so PLEASE pre-register your
room soon. Once you have your confirmation number, please fill out the
form at http://www.phreaknic.info/registration.html. This information
allows us to plan effectively for the con. It will never be shared with
anyone else for any reason.

    * Reservations: (615) 244-0150
    * Address: 920 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203
    * Room cost: $70/day, quad occupancy.
      Please reference "PN6" when reserving your room in order to get the
      discounted rate.
    * Food: Bar/restaurant onsite. The Flying Saucer Bar and Grill across
      the street offers a selection of 200 of the world's finest beers.

Conference Costs:

The con costs $5 this year. If you can't afford that, you really should
think about rehab.

Events and Goings On:

        * Root Wars: A lawless free for all on the LAN. If you connect
          your computer to the conference network be prepared to defend
          it! Bring your 802.11 gear.
        * War Driving/Chalking contest: How many open WAPs can your team find
          in Downtown Nashville?
        * Gaming: Lots of gamers show up at PhreakNIC ready to throw down.
        * Film screening: We have a full Amphitheater this year. Expect
          cool flash animations and strange cyberpunk movies. Bring
          anything you think people should see.
        * DJs: Phat West Coast D&B, House, and Industrial/Goth Music every
          night in the party room.
        * Dolemite's Hacker Hook-Up Game: Finally you get a chance at a
          date.
        * Costume Party: Saturday Night we'll be voting on the best
          halloween costume.
        * NLUG Install Fest: For newbies, get started with Linux with help
          from the experts.

Speakers:

    This list is constantly being updated. At the time of this
    announcement we have confirmed:

        * Rants from Decius and PN6 crew.
        * Sun Linux by Scott Milliken
        * Demise of Internet Radio Panel hosted by Fr0g
        * Asterisk Open Source PBX by Mark Spencer
        * PGP and GnuPG by Justin Troutman
        * Cryptography by Elonka (<-- Elonka has broken the PhreakNIC code
          several years running.)
        * MemeStreams: How to tie the weblogs together into a knowledge
          management system, or how to create the grass roots alternative
          to mass marketing that indy musicians will need to build
          businesses without record contracts. By Decius

If you would like to speak, please contact phreaknic at phreaknic.info with
information about your presentation as soon as possible.

Warez the Pumpkin:

       * Will be bio-luminescent before 2011.

 50 68 72 65 61 6B 4E 49 43 32 20 20 20 20 50 68 65 61 72 43 30 74 43 21
 50 68 72 65 61 6B 4E 49 43 32 20 20 20 20 50 68 65 61 72 43 30 74 43 21
 50 68 72 65 61 6B 4E 49 43 32 20 20 20 20 50 68 65 61 72 43 30 74 43 21
 50 68 72 65 61 6B 4E 49 43 32 20 20 20 20 50 68 65 61 72 43 30 74 43 21

EOF