[ale] Browser recommendation? Small and fast a must.

Stanaland, Brian BStanaland at PanAmSat.com
Tue Sep 10 14:06:19 EDT 2002

Galeon. small, fast and Gecko-based

Brian Stanaland
Digital Operations Maintenance
Webcast Services, PanAmSat Corp.
bstanaland at panamsat.com
404.381.2480 voice
404.381.2596 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Grimmke [mailto:grimmke at directvinternet.com]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 2:03 PM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: [ale] Browser recommendation? Small and fast a must.

Looking for some advice here.

I have been running Vector Linux on my tiny, ancient
laptop, for a while now and like it for the small
footprint, not much bulkware, etc.  Based on Slackware,
Vector Linux is small, like Peanut Linux only does
things a little different.  Instead of lots of
binaries/no libraries like Peanut, Vector is the
opposite, more libraries fewer binaries.  Which is
great, because I can compile my own stuff and only have
to track down 2 to 12 libraries for every installed
piece of software ;D.

Anyway, the default (graphics) browser used to be an
old version of netscape.  It was slow on my poor old
laptop, but ran OK.  Now it is Opera.  I would have no
problem with the banner ad support, except that on a
640*480 disply the Banner takes up 50% of my screen
real estate, which is just unacceptable.  There is no
way the hardware can handle big bulky browsers like a
modern Netscape, Mozilla,

Does anybody have experience with the new graphic
version of the Links browser?  How about Dillo?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Grimmke
Marietta, Georgia