[ale] Wardriving (was: WML)

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Sep 10 12:04:02 EDT 2002

Some of the earlier WiFi cards had very limited outdoor ranges, but the
newer ones are somewhat improved, esp. if you drop down the listening
frequency. I just bought a Linksys WPC-11 PCMCIA card for $50 (after rebate)
and I'm going to use it as soon as I find a copy of Slackware or Debian
(since Red Hat doesn't compile the experimental-grade kernel module that I
need for it).

www.AtlantaFreenet.org is run by a guy that has a public-access WAP
(wireless access point, as opposed to Wireless Application Protocol per
the previous discussion) right near the NE I-85/I-285 intersection (fondly
known as "Spaghetti junction"). His site also has an interactive map of
other active or planned WAPs, public or otherwise.