[ale] WML

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Sep 10 12:03:49 EDT 2002

    Fulton> WAP/WML wound up being way too clunky for real-world
    Fulton> usage. However, some companies such as Ebay and Google
    Fulton> still have WML support. In fact, Google auto-translates
    Fulton> ordinary HTML to WML if you click on a link that appears
    Fulton> in your search results (assuming you're using a
    Fulton> WML-compliant device).

        Amazon and several of the larger news outlets (CNN, ABC) have
WML portals.

    Fulton> www.WAPForum.org if you wish to pursue further. I believe
    Fulton> the Nokia 3360 and similar models only support WML 1.1
    Fulton> (definitely not 1.0).

        We've got Motorola i1000plus phones from Nextel at work that
have WAP support.  It's pretty handy, but it's not going to replace
your desktop browser any time soon (and it has some implementation
issues like their (Nextel's) gateway won't accept content from https
servers using self signed certificates, which makes it somewhat useful
for providing secure remote access to our network monitoring app).

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
770 294-0820 (m)      |                                               U