[ale] OT Re: [ale] Microsoft now favors fair competition

Eric Anderson eric.anderson at cordata.net
Fri Sep 6 22:01:05 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 10:59, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> Ok, I spent some time playing with the scroll bar on
> > Bruce Peren's counter site, Sincere Choice http://sincerechoice.com/
> I don't get it - how does he get the navigation menu to stay there without
> tons of javascript everywhere? I have never seen this done - and I have seen
> a lot of code in sites.

For reference it is the position attribute being set to fixed. ie

div.Nav {
	position: fixed;
}

When the position attribute is set to fixed it will cause the element
box to be fixed relative to a point on the that particular media. This
means that if it is displayed on a screen it will not move when you
scroll.

For reference this feature is listed in CSS2, and was first supported by
Opera version 4. Netscape added support for it in version 6.1. IE
currently does not have support for it.

For more info on this attribute (or any other) check out the following
link. It is at a site called blooberry.com which IMHO is the more
comprehensive best reference guide and support listing for HTML and CSS.
The following link is to the position attribute specifically:

http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/properties/classify/position.htm

--
Eric Anderson