[ale] a new linux solution for multiple problems

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Sep 5 11:03:41 EDT 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Yeah, telnet is not a usual install here either. But in this case, I
> think it is justified. Streaming video over an encrypted connection is
> pretty heavyweight cpu stuff.
>
> You could just take a snapshot every 2 seconds, pump that to a tiny web
> server with a "push" page and keep a browser screen open.

Actually, that's kinda what I do with motion and xv.  motion gets the
pick, and xv displays it.  I threw together a small script that searches
the directory the snaps are dropped into and displays the latest snap.

> But telnet would be the easiest.

Yeah.  Plus, for some reason, xawtv over ssh has actually locked the box
up a couple of times.  Not pretty.  I don't know if it's the ssh/xawtv
combination or xawtv.  I've seen xawtv do this in older versions.

> I've been contemplating doing a similar arrangement but sound activated.
> Someone in my neighborhood needs to both turn down the volume and get a
> muffler.  I am thinking 2 cameras at either corner of my lot pointed so
> their field of view overlaps should get the from and back (i.e. tag) of
> the offender to my sleep. I'll need low-light-level cameras since it
> usually happens between 1-2am. Grr.

I hear you.  I've got a similar problem although the 'jerks' are
actually diagonally behind my neighbor.  This camera get's pretty decent
low light images, better then my color cams, but the images aren't as
sharp as my color cams, regardless of light level.  I've actually
considered setting up my camcorder which has Sony's night vision
technology and one hell of a zoom to monitor my noisey neighbors, but,
it'd be inside, through a window, (for obvious reasons) thus, no sound.

By the way, my bw camera does have sound, I've just not connected (yet).
  That's the next step. :)  I've got to get another rca cable to connect
to my sound card.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net