[ale] CDRW on Linux

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Thu Sep 5 09:02:22 EDT 2002

Robert Heaven wrote:
> I have a Yamaha CDRW that I've never really tried to use with Linux and
> was wondering if there are any tools for it. I would like to use it as a
> backup medium.
>
> I've already tried fdisk but it won't talk to it. (/dev/scd0)

Probably what you are thinking about is a packet driver (like Adaptec/Roxio Direct whatchamacallit).  I'm not sure how far along that tech is under Linux.  Without a packet driver, you can't fdisk/mkfs/format directly to a CD.

What you can do is create a iso image on your hard drive, and fill it with what you want to backup, and then burn the image to CD.

I'd suggest looking into Mondo Backup, as it is geared toward this kind of backup.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith