[ale] MySQL and Redhat 7.2 with ext3

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 3 11:41:36 EDT 2002

I'm almost positive that ext3 can handle 2GB files with no problem. With
some kernel tweaks, it can handle 2TB files. The issue is MySQL. It uses
multiple files, most of which will never exceed the 2GB size. The
headache is in blobs. There are limits on binary blob sizes in all
databases. MySQL can be set to handle some very large files (~500MB),
but the performance is supposed to drop like a rock in those situations.
Something about keeping an inode list for the blob file.

Dumping 90-130MB/day into various tables should not be issue. Just make
sure you have a working, reliable backup system that the restore has
been tested and proven to work for database recovery. Recall the horrors
of file recovery from ext3 systems from earlier.