[ale] OT, but not as OT as recent stuff (JAVA)

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 31 15:29:23 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 02:55:09PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Okay Java gurus, I've come to the conclusion Java was designed to drive
> you insane whenever you need to convert types.  I'm trying to take two

Yes.  Also whenever you need to use Dates, or manipulate low-level bytes
(which are *signed*, btw).

> java.lang.Objects which are a series of numbers subtract one from the
> other and store the result in a long value.  I've tried:
>
> (long)theObject
> (Long)theObject
> Long.parseLong(theObject)

Need more info.  What exactly do you mean by "series of numbers"?  What
exactly is theObject?  String?  Long?  long?  int?  How is theObject
declared?  How does it get its value?

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9