[ale] .NET

Dennany, Jerome {D177~Roswell} JEROME.DENNANY at ROCHE.COM
Thu Oct 31 14:15:17 EST 2002

.NET Framework SDK is free (as in beer).  You don't need Visual Studio.

You don't need SQL Server.  You may use any ODBC compliant data source.

Many of the large java systems that I have worked with are Solaris / Oracle solutions running a third party Java App Server.  These tend to cost more than comparable Microsoft solutions.

I won't argue that Linux / Tomcat isn't cheaper - but really not that much for large systems, especially in shops that are already predominantly microsoft.  Here, it isn't just licensing costs, but management and personel costs, development costs, etc.  I'm not talking one man projects, but solutions that take many, many man-years to build.

Jerry