[ale] .NET

Dennany, Jerome {D177~Roswell} JEROME.DENNANY at ROCHE.COM
Thu Oct 31 13:11:52 EST 2002

Mike asked:
"So when does a Microsoft solution make more sense? Can you give me any
concrete examples?"

Jerry Answered:

1.  When you make your living writing software, and your customers run windows, writing to the windows platform makes sense.  Your customers dictate to you, not the other way around.

2.  COM+ based n-tier programming (3 words: Quick, Easy, Transactional).

3.  Cost.  A Windows.NET application server farm is sometimes cheaper that a traditional Sun Solaris / Java w/ J2EE solution.  And yes, I've worked in both.

4.  Fun.  I like programming windows under .NET.  That's just me, though I am not the only person I know who thinks so.  I've also programmed in Linux and Solaris environments.  Personally, it wasn't as much fun.  And for me, I'm in this not just for money, but because I find my job fascinating.

Jerry

So when does a Microsoft solution make more sense? Can you give me any
concrete examples?

Mike