[ale] can daemons bind to different IPs within the same box?

Cory T. Echols ctechols at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 31 12:17:35 EST 2002

On 10/31, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> I have a web server with multiple interfaces/IP addys.  I'm wondering if
> I can run some daemons on one of them (ssh, dns, ftp, etc) and some on
> the other interface/IP (http, https).  Can I do this?

You can generally do this, but the way you do it varies with the
particular daemon you're using.  Some programs may just grab all the
interfaces without letting you tune.

For example, postfix uses the "inet_interfaces" option in
/etc/postfix/main.cf.

Privoxy has a similar option.

You'll really just have to check the docs.

--
Cory T. Echols          | "A government that is big enough to give you all
ctechols at mindspring.com | you want is big enough to take it all away."