[ale] Microsoft's 1984

SanMillan, Todd tis3 at cdc.gov
Thu Oct 31 09:48:23 EST 2002

   And at 5:37, you call the vendor provided (toll-charge long distance)
number and they offer to upgrade your support to the 24x7 Palladium option
for a low, low price.  You don't have any real option because you gambled
that it wouldn't happen to you and you lost that bet.  Now, in typical
management fashion, you run around and lock the barn door after the fleeing
horse by adding in the cost of the 24x7 option to your normal cost of doing
business, just like theft insurance and electricity.  To save face and avoid
admitting you screwed up, you tell all your business associates that they
should also spend the money for the after-hours support (does anyone really
believe you will tell your competitors how to save money by going the
open-source route, when you have already incurred the cost, so the only way
to level the playing field is to drag them down with you?). In typical
business herd-mentality (think air fares or 0% financing.  When one does it,
they all follow suit) everyone in your industry who hears your story
upgrades to Palladium support.  They then contribute to the Congressional
campaign of the rep who sponsors a bill to give your industry some
regulatory sinecure, like DRM or the DMCA or steel tariffs, because darn it,
that free enterprise competition stuff makes it just to hard to make a buck
(or if you're L. Dennis Kozlowski, $170 million bucks).