[ale] Postgres was:RedHat Dabase 2.0

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Wed Oct 30 17:14:10 EST 2002

10/30/2002 3:36:54 PM, "Mike Millson" <mgm at atsga.com> wrote:

>Ben,
>
>Since we're on the subject, I have a couple of questions about Postgres:
>1) Can you do regular expression pattern matches like you can in MySQL?

Yes. Very good support for this.

>2) Does it have any SQL extensions to handle hierarchical queries like
>Oracle has?

Yes - in a more limited fasion. It has a form of inheritence in tables that's very well supported as an
SQL extension. However, indexes on these types are limited (but promise to be expanded in the
future). This is not a true navigational query capability however and not as strong as some of the
extensions that other hybrid-relational databases have. It would surprise me though if a more
capable indexing mechanism supporting this wasn't developed in the future. As it is, there is a pretty
cool Gist mechanism (which shares traits of hierarchical queries) that is strongly supported by
Postgres and one could reasonable\y add their own if so driven. But strictly speaking to your
question - the support is somewhat limited as an SQL extension.

	best regards,

		Ben Scherrey