[ale] k7s5a mb drama continues

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Oct 29 13:34:35 EST 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> The new RedHat 8 detects an athalon processor and loads some boot time
> params that solve some known issues with athalons. I don't recall the
> details as I don't use AMD cpus, but some google digging should be
> useful.

It's likely the mem=nopentium option.  In all fairness to Mandrake, I
should come clean.  My procedure for installation was as follows:

Upgrade to Mandrake 9.0 on Celeron 400.
Replace mb and processor with new mb and processor.

So, I was running with a kernel that was installed by Mandrake on a
Celeron machine.  I did add the mem=nopentium option once it actually
booted, but I don't know what else Mandrake may have done if it had been
installed on this system after the mb/cpu upgrade.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net