[ale] k7s5a mb drama continues

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Oct 29 09:30:53 EST 2002

Dow Hurst wrote:

> My Athlon XP1800 runs at 1.5 GHz and I have the Zalman CPU fan, a Zalman
> case fan, and an Enermax dual fan powersupply.  The CPU runs at 52 C and
> the case temp is 28 C.  These are reasonable values according to other
> sites and docs I've read while worrying about this stuff.

I was okay with 50C until I received the email from ecs.  I'm back to an
open case with the 2' fan blowing on it.  CPU is ar 44C right now.
Before my current 'modification' it was running 50-52C.

How long have you been running at that temperature Dow?

50C doesn't seem to be that high to me either.  I mean were talking at
least 30C temperature difference between the measure and the max the cpu
is expected to reach.  We're talking what, a 70F temperature difference?
  Can the cpu die actually run that much higher then the sensor sitting
right under it???  The AMD site noted a die temp. between 85-90C as max.
  Now that seems high to me, I mean 90C is what, almost 200F ???

http://139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=66,E=0000000000044159173,K=3019,Sxi=15,Case=obj(3609)

One good note, I've built a new kernel for this box and since installing
it yesterday (fingers cramped from having them crossed) it's not locked
up yet.  I intentionally tried two separated things that had locked it
up consistently in the past and all was well.  The two processes that
pretty regularily locked it up was tuxracer (yeah!!) and running the
motion detection via my capture card/camera with a large number of
detections within a short period of time.

I not comfortable yet though as I still would like to see about a more
reasonable solution to cooling the cpu to at least something
consistently below 50C.  (even though the machine is on the otherside of
a wall, that fan is still loud...)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net