[ale] tux racer

Cory T. Echols ctechols at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 25 07:48:35 EDT 2002

On 10/25, Geoffrey wrote:
> Played tux racer the other morning with this new processor.  First time
> it was playable.
>
> Tried to play it again just now and the screen updates were terrible,
> like I was back on my Celeron 400.

I've played it before on my 1Ghz athlon with Matrox G400, and it's very
playable.

You may have already checked this, but the first thing that came to mind
was that you had XFree86-DRI enabled when you played it the first time,
but for some reason, it wasn't enabled on the second time.

Check the output of 'xdpyinfo' and make sure lists XFree86-DRI as a
loaded extension.

I think in most cases DRI requires a special kernel module to be loaded,
as well as an XFree86 module.  With my Matrox, the kernel module only
gets loaded if you pass parameters to the kernel at boot (you can't load
it with modprobe).  Could you have booted under different LILO
configurations or something?

--
Cory T. Echols          | "Whatever enables us to go to war, secures our
ctechols at mindspring.com | peace."