[ale] WAN type connection

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Oct 23 15:24:47 EDT 2002

Get an unswitched line from the phone company to go between the two
buildings. Get two, identical DSL "modems". put one at either end and
turn them on. From this point my memory is fuzzy. There was an article
(slashdot, Linux Journal, can remember...) that detailed the connection
process. It makes a full speed 1.1 Mb connection between the two points.

If they are in site of each other, you can use a laser link. Not great
when the weather is really bad, though.

There was a site that detailed building your own optical interconnection
rig with some cheap stuff. It was not as susceptible to weather effects
as it used visible wavelength orange LEDs. It's called ronja:
http://ronja.jikos.cz/