[ale] Mandrake 9.0 installation review

Michael Golden naugrim at email.byu.edu
Tue Oct 22 23:57:28 EDT 2002

> Second, the Mandrake rpm tool is a lot worse.  There used to be one
> tool--rpmdrake--for installs, removals, and upgrades.  Now there
> appears to be 3 separate programs.  Just what I need, more windows
> cluttering up my screen.  It still works well, even better in some
> ways, but I find it much more annoying.  Time to check out apt-rpm for
> Mandrake.  It's awesome under RedHat, but I've always been happy with
> rpmdrake, before.  Time to see if apt-rpm and Synaptic work on
> Mandrake.

I used to use apt-rpm on Mandrake Cooker for my updates and I loved it.
However the developers stopped updating the rpm database for apt after a
while and so it stopped working. The reason they stopped was almost
political. They want to promote the use of urpmi which is their program
to do the same thing. rpmdrake is merely a front end to urpmi. Last I
checked the apt databases for cooker were still not being updated. I'm
not aware of the status on them for stable though. Good luck with
whichever path you take and be sure to tell us.

Michael