[ale] Equal cost multipathing...

trey tdarley at aiscomputers.com
Sun Oct 20 18:27:29 EDT 2002

Hey, y'all. This is a follow-up to a post a couple months ago concerning
'bandwidth aggregation.' Jonathan Rickman was probably spot-on with his
advice that Cisco gear is my best and only friend for achieve this end.
However, ain't no way my boss is going to spring for this expenditure.
So I am now revisiting this issue. (As an aside, this kind of work
demands free nights or weekends. Those sure are few and far between. I
can't believe it's taken me so long to get back to this.)

Okay, on to business.

[snip from /etc/rc/rc.local]
ip -4 addr flush label "eth*"
ip addr add <ip of interface neighboring t1 router>/32 dev eth2
ip addr add 192.168.1.1/32 dev eth1
ip ro add 192.168.1/24 proto kernel scope link dev eth1 src 192.168.1.1
ip ro add <network address on t1 interface>/27 proto kernel scope link \
	dev eth2 src <ip of interface neighboring t1 router>
ip link set eth2 up
ip link set eth1 up
/usr/sbin/adsl-start
PPPNET=`/sbin/ifconfig ppp0 | grep inet | cut -d ":" -f3 | cut -d " "
-f1`
ip ro add default scope global nexthop via <ip of t1 router> weight 1 \
	dev eth2 nexthop via $PPPNET dev ppp0 weight 1
[/snip]

So, when I do 'ip ro ls' I get this:

[snip]
default
        nexthop via <ip of t1 router> dev eth2 weight 1 dead
        nexthop via <ip of isp end of ppp connection>  dev ppp0 weight 1
[/snip]

I have been digging on deja a good bit. What I come up with is that ecmp
support in the 2.4 series has been broken for a good while. Supposedly
what you have to do is add in an bogus nexthop prior to the "real" ones,
a.k.a., the first 'nexthop' is just gonna be dead come hell or high water.
I tried this, but what happens is that both my first and my last
'nexthop' show up as dead. This is driving me batty! I am presently
building 2.4.19 kernel. Maybe that will help, but I saw nothing that
looked helpful in the changelogs. Anyone have any ideas? My new kernel
may help things, *as soon as it's done compiling* (which will be
Thursday next at the rate things seem to be compiling!)

Please, help! eeeeep!!!

--Trey

Trey Darley - SysAdmin / Network Admin
AIS Computers
165 Carnegie Place
Fayetteville, GA 30214
Work: 770.461.2147, ext. 128
Mobile: 404.455.1516

[Please note that the opinions I express are not to be in any way
construed as those of AIS, unless that is expressly stated.]