[ale] Re: Dan Gillmor on Microsoft

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 18 16:00:03 EDT 2002

Jim wrote:

>Microsoft is reporting record profits from the last quarter, which they
>attribute largely to their new, extortionary licensing scheme. I thought
>htese words from Silicon Valley columnist Dan Gillmor were worth sharing
>with everybody on the list:

Actually this is not _exactly_ as it seems.  Microsoft, in its announcement
was trying to warn investors that this sudden spike in the cash flow is
a "one time" event and is caused by thousands of businesses refusing to go
along with M$ new licensing fees and instead purchasing standard support
contracts through the life of the OS they are currently using.  Apparently
M$ new licensing scheme of paying in advance for non-existent and
unannounced updates is a major grade flop.  All sorts of medium sized
businesses have said "NO!" By purchasing their support contracts _before_
July 31 businesses were able to avoid the price hikes and avoid paying
for vaporware.
So this spike in the cash flow is actually somewhat worrying for Bill.

Sean