[ale] need your input on a project...

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Oct 18 15:21:42 EDT 2002

Wow, what a cool opportunity.

I do know that mod_python for Apache has existed for some time. That said, I
have absolutely no experience with it, so I can't speak for its usefulness.

In fact, my only significant experience with back-end web stuff has been
with <hack/>ASP<cough/> and various J2EE options. If you're able to cleanly
separate the maintenance tasks between the web designer and the web software
engineer (in case they're different people), the JSP/J2EE approach might not
be too bad. Except for the 70 screens part. My gut feeling says to look into
another open source technology called Struts (see http://Jakarta.Apache.org/
for details). It uses a model-view-controller (MVC) approach, and I believe
it's templatable, which would help out for the massive amount of screens
you'll have.

As for the stability of Tomcat, keep in mind that even before Sun donated
it to the Jakarta cause, it was the reference implementation for JSP and
servlet processing. It's probably not going to scream when compared to
Web[Logic|Sphere], but it should do alright for your purposes.

And if you wind up needing Enterprise JavaBeans capability, the JBoss
project ( www.JBoss.org ) can help you out. Factoid: several people on that
project, including the founder, live right here in the ATL!