[ale] mail

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Fri Oct 18 15:02:01 EDT 2002

> I'm very partial to Postfix. IT acts as a drop-in replacement for
> sendmail, and is easier to configure. I've heard people claim it is also
> more secure. I got fed up with the arcane sendmail.conf directives and
> switched a few months back.

I actually learned how to set up the cf files (via the m4 pre-files and
includes and all), and decided "i don't want to use any of this entire set
of options, b/c then i'd have to figure out what in the hell these options
MEAN!" :/  but I did manage to put together a sendmail install, and it
seemed to actually be fairly reasonable, all the major security issues
were dealt with (although I know there were probably a lot of things where
I accidentally opened up an entirely different one :( )

I ended up installing QMail for an office project b/c our majordomo
install was inadequate (so i decided to try ezmlm since ALE uses it, it
must be good! but it required qmail, so i changed sendmail for qmail).
QMail/EZMLM seems to do an amazing job, and is fairly simple to configure
for normal use.  Strange uses are a little more arcane but still not near
as bad as the "which of these 10 .m4 files do i modify?  I've deleted the
line from these 3 that I know it's using, and it's still there, but
nothing has it anymore!!!" issues that most people end up facing if they
don't use the stock .cf (and you can quickly advance beyond the stock .cf)

but sendmail IS still the standard MTA, and I don't really expect to see
it being toppled anytime soon.  I think it's still the most
powerful/versatile MTA (although I haven't looked at postfix), but the
learning curve is much higher and no one needs ALL the features :o

--attriel