[ale] gnu hurd

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Oct 18 09:32:34 EDT 2002

And perhaps a bit more education is needed. :)

The HURD and Linux actually have something in common: at their very base
meaning, they're both just names for various UNIX-style kernel projects.
Other than that, they diverge rapidly. Linux, as a lot of us know, is a
monolithic kernel w/modular device driver capability. The HURD, OTOH, is a
true microkernel, with lower-level services able to be modularized. It was
(and still is) being worked on to be the official kernel of the full-blown
GNU OS. It's still definitely in the "not-ready-for-prime-time" stage.

However, the Debian project thinks enough of the HURD to offer its own
distribution, complete with downloadable ISOs:
http://www.Debian.org/ports/hurd/
I've been meaning to install this myself when I get broadband access again
and I get a CD burner.

I saw something on /. where they're just now able to add a threading library
to GNU/HURD just a week or so ago, so I'd say that it'll be awhile before
they can even port Linux app source code to HURD, much less deal with the
Linux ABI.