[ale] PGP/GPG Session... RFC...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Oct 16 21:28:26 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 05:46:47PM -0400, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> Then I vote for a general gpg talk that would bring people up to the
> point that they could go hame and create keys, end mail, etc., followed
> by a key signing party in February, or whenever your schedule permits.

	This seems to be the general consensis on the list and in
private E-Mail.

	Cool...

	As it so happens, this fits very neatly with a project I have
on the table at the office.  I'm suppose to assemble a "brown bag lunch"
for our people on this very topic, so I kill two birds (per session)
with one stone.

	Going back to my original four suggestions, it looks like this
will be a little bit of item one (general cryptography), a large bit
of item two (general introduction to PGP and GPG), and a bit of item
three (GPG particulars - generating and managing keys, keysigning and
the web of trust, etc).  I'll leave the keysigning party to later (February
actually sounds pretty good).  Depending on the response I get at the
December session, I may figure on a later session on GPG particulars and
some in-depth details.  That can occur before or after the keysigning
party.  I'll cover enough in the December talk to get everyone ready
for the keysigning.

	Unfortunately...  My OUTLINE for my PGP presentation is already
at 80 bullet items (generally equivalent to one slide).  My usual rule
of thumb would put that close to a 3 hour stand up talk (my half day
security tutorials at LinuxWorld run close to 80 slides each).  That's
way too long for something in a roughly hour slot.  I've got a lot of work
to pair it down.  But, at least, I have a month and a half to bolt it
together and make it fit and it doesn't require the up front preparation
that a key signing party requires (soliciting and building the keyrings
and preparing printouts).  I want to get this thing down to about 20
slides to get it all in and leave room for questions and general
bullshit (which is what I'm REALLY good at)...

	This was exactly what I wanted and I thank you all!  You have
given me what I need to move in the direction that will benefit the
group.  I may bore a few of you with some of the basics, but that's just
going to happen no matter what.  Anyone with further input will be
greatfully received and considered.  If you have specific questions and/or
confusions, send them to me NOW.  I will try and incorporate as much
as possible into my presentation.

> --Michael

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/