[ale] those of you reading this while within US jurisdiction should have a care....

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Oct 16 15:31:25 EDT 2002

The first problem is finding someone who doesn't want to be in office,
that's the only person who should...

Then you have to find someone who can take the millions of M$/RIAA dollar
"incentives" and tell them to take a hike.  Avoiding tempation in your
face is harder than when it's not.  Otherwise candy aisles in grocery
stores would be alot smaller.

Thus spake attriel (attriel at d20boards.net):

> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:20:56 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "attriel" <attriel at d20boards.net>
> To: <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: RE: [ale] those of you reading this while within US jurisdiction  should have a care....
>
> > to the point about a ballot box, it is hard for the ballot box to make a
> > difference because the electorate knows *nothing* about this issue.  The
> > percentage of the population that does understand the ramifications of
> > DMCA will have to educate some of them, as well as educate politicians
> > about the matter.
>
> I've speculated lately as more and more stupid anti-tech laws come out,
> how long it'll be before the hackers (and by hacker i mean FSF and OSS
> people, not the media hype script-kiddies, btw) find someone(s) to stand
> behind ...
>
> I mean, there are plenty of hackers and ilk around, and the
> techno-corridors have to have enough to be able to pull off an election if
> we all remembered to leave the code long enough to vote (or, in my case,
> figure out where i'm supposed to vote now ...)
>
> I don't think we have anywhere near enough to pull off a presidential
> upset, but getting half-a-dozen high computer people into the senate would
> do some good I have to believe ...
>
> OK, sure, it'd only last one term until they managed to re-district to
> keep it from happening again, but still.  long enough to kill at least
> SOME of the stupid ideas, yaknow?
>
> --attriel
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.